Wow.
I have always played the Christian game but it has not been until recently that I am beginning to see that I really am a sinner and the gospel applies to me. Nothing will show you how selfish you are like marriage and three kids. Sin has always been more of an action verb to me and not a condition of the heart. God has been using the book "How People Change" to show me differently.
I am the problem. I have replaced Christ with something else (Rom. 1:23) My heart tends toward idolatry and is ever straying away from the one true God. I have let good things that are really gifts from God morph into an all consuming fire. These things (marriage, obedient children, a beautiful home, personal comfort) are not bad in themselves; it is my exaltation of them to the place that only God should occupy that is the problem.
Praise God for his revelation of this to me. Praise God that his grace is sufficent for me and that he is working in me to change me. My honest prayer is that this sin would continue to grow bitter to me and Christ would grow sweeter. That I could throw off this sin that so easily entangles and fix my eyes on Jesus. (Heb. 12:1-2)
Dad - if you are reading this, sorry. I know that you taught me these things years ago. How I wish I could take your classes again!
Beautiful post. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Good luck with your door project. I'd love to see a picture when it's done! Feel feel to contact me if you have any questions along the way.
ReplyDeleteJami