One year ago today would have been the due date of our third baby. God in his sovereignty and wisdom chose to take that child while in the tenth week of pregnancy. That whole experience was bitter for us at the time but has reaped many blessings. I wouldn't say that the loss of a child is a blessing but that God certainly blesses you through that loss. Our hearts cried out for our baby. God comforted us with the love of family and friends, some of whom had experienced loss themselves. We were also comforted through the hope found in his word; hope of new life and reassurance of his sovereignty and love. Men and women grieve in completely different ways, Brian and I were surprised at this but were able to learn a lot about each other and grow closer. We were then able to share in the sufferings of friends who then miscarried soon after we did. And now of course we have Madeline, a joy and a delight.
For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written every one of them
the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.
Psalm 139:13-16
This passage brought me so much comfort in the weeks and months following the loss. My OBGYN said that chromosomal disorders are the most common cause of miscarriages. I delighted in thinking of that baby as fearfully and wonderfully made, and I took such comfort in the fact that though he or she did not make it into this world; that was God's plan. He knew and had purposed the days, every one of them that that child was with us. God is good.
I have thought about this time so much lately... so thankful for his visible faithfulness in your life.
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love.
You are one of the most amazing girls I know Sarah.
ReplyDelete